[dash-dev] Getting Started with Athena + SVN & Generating .psf files from maps (was Re: using releng)

CVS/SVN structure is not restricted - you can set it up any way you'd like.

However, if you're a Modeling project, it's advised that you use a layout like this, so that other Modelers can easily find your code in the usual places.

/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.emf.foo/
  /plugins/
  /features/
  /tests/
  /doc/

Traditionally, we enforced that you had two folders in parallel:

/cvsroot/modeling/org.eclipse.emf/org.eclipse.emf.foo/
/cvsroot/modeling/org.eclipse.emf/org.eclipse.emf.foo.releng/

But with Athena that's no longer required - you can choose to use this folder instead:

/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.emf.foo/releng/

Once you have everything in SVN (or CVS, doesn't matter which), you can start creating your /releng/ or /org.eclipse.emf.foo.releng/ folder contents.

When I'm creating a new releng project, I copy from an existing working one, and update paths/strings to match the new project.

Here's the one I generally use:

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/jbosstools/trunk/jmx/releng/

You might want to copy from another Modeling project - GMT MoDisco:

http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.gmt.modisco/
http://dev.eclipse.org/svnroot/modeling/org.eclipse.gmt.modisco/releng/trunk/org.eclipse.gmt.modisco.releng/maps/infrastructure.map

You will have to create your map file manually, pointing at each and every feature/plugin you will be building. But, once that's done, you can use `build.steps=map2psf,...` in your build.properties file to (re)generate .psf files (Project Set Files) for your developers so they too can fetch your sources easily. Publish a link to those files in your wiki, and they can download them and import them into Eclipse to easily grab all your source projects. *Very handy!*

Christian Krause wrote:
Dear Nick Boldt,

I'm Christian Krause and I'm currently setting up a new EMFT component called EMF Henshin. At this point I have to decide what the module structure of our SVN will look like. We would like to use an automated build system and for this purpose I was browsing the Athena wiki and parts of your releng blog. I do not understand yet how the whole thing works, but for now it would help me already if you could give me a hint on how our module layout should look like for this. I would guess we would have to modules in our SVN:

org.eclipse.emf.henshin
org.eclipse.emf.henshin.releng

where the former contains the plug-ins, features and docs, and the latter contains the build files. Is that correct?

I will try find my way through the documentation. Anyway, if you can point me to other resources than I mentioned already, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time and best regards,
Christian

-------- Original-Nachricht --------