[dash-dev] IP Log Tool

Greetings Dash developers,

Gabe and I have started work on a next generation version of the Automated IP Log tool [1]. The new version is intended to ship as an Eclipse plug-in.

With the new version running inside the Eclipse workbench, the developer can decide where to store the log file: either somewhere on the project website or elsewhere in CVS. The IP Log tool itself doesn't have to be concerned with the issues of security (who gets to work on the log) as that will be taken care of by the write access to CVS/SVN. By encouraging (i.e. forcing) the user to explicitly store the IP Log, we should mitigate the problem of IP Logs that go missing after approval. It will also give us the ability to truly lock down an IP Log (the automated IP Log always reflects the current reality which changes with time).

The new version changes things around a bit. We have set up a RESTful web service that provides the information required to build the log that we have in the various databases at Eclipse. We use this information to initially populate the log. Once populated, the user has the ability to tweak every part of the data. The can add new lines, remove them. Using the same information from those various databases at Eclipse, we can "diff" the captured log against the data we have. This will assist the IP Team in determining how different the log is from the data we have captured. It will also allow the developer to generate the next version of their IP Log from a previous version.

We have implemented a significant part of it, but there is still much work to do. Currently, we are making heavy use of EMF to generate the model and entire user interface. We anticipate augmenting the EMF-generated user interface with custom elements to streamline the user experience.

We'd like to bring it to Dash as a subproject where others can potentially participate. I'd like to start assembling the project proposal and invite your participation and questions.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Wayne

[1] http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/Automatic_IP_Log