[dash-dev] How to (or not to) develop on the dashboard commits explorer

Dash Team,
Karl and I did a lot of work today to fix bug 212140 and in the process of doing this we cleaned up the dash.eclipse.org:~dashboard tree. In order to keep it clean, we need to make a new rule:
  • Do _not_ develop in the ~dashboard directory
Develop in your local directory or dev box and use "cvs update" in ~dashboard to bring down the latest code. Thanks.

The reason for this new rule is that you cannot commit code from the ~dashboard directory. Thus if you write code in ~dashboard and then copy that code to another box to do the commit and then do a "cvs update" from ~dashboard, the files will be filled with merge comments even though the code is identical. And then the scripts will not run. And it makes a mess that someone then has to clean up.

Thanks,
Bjorn
--
[end of message]