From: dash-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dash-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sam Ellis
Sent: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 1:58 PM
To: dash-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [dash-dev] Monkey and Java 6 Scripting

Hi,

I am new to this mailing list, so apologise in advance if what I'm discussing has been posted before or contains inaccuracies.

My company has an Eclipse-based product, and I am looking at solutions to allow our customers to perform scripting of our plug-ins. So far, Eclipse Monkey looks very promising, and I have something useful working after only a few hours work.

Am issue for me is that my customers probably do not want to script using JavaScript. They would prefer something tcl-like or python-like or perl-like (or even C/C++!). If I pick one of these languages, I will undoubtedly annoy some subset of our customers, so what I'd like to do is support them all (or at least more than one).

I saw some previous posts about language extensions to Monkey to allow additional language support to be added. I have previously used the scripting support in Java 6, so what I'm wondering is whether there are any plans to support Java 6 scripting in Monkey. Naively, this would seem to allow access to a wider range of languages with minimal effort.

Obviously, Java 6 is still relatively new and has not reached mainstream yet. If Java 6 scripting were used, perhaps Monkey could still use its built-in engines as a backup. In my case, having a dependency on Java 6 is not a problem, as we already require this for other reasons.

I am vaguely aware that there is slightly more to adding new language support to Monkey than just plugging in a new engine. There is probably support for parsing the magic comments to enable the menu and keyboard shortcuts, for example. Is comment parsing the only extra thing that a new language extension needs to provide?

[Whilst a very neat scheme, I can't help feeling slightly yucky when I'm editing magic comments; somehow it just doesn't seem proper. May be that's just me.]

Anyway, has the use of Java 6 scripting been discussed before, and if so what was the outcome?

--
Sam Ellis, Engineering Manager,
Product Engineering Group,                 Tel: +44 (0) 1223 400516

--
IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium.  Thank you.