RE: [dash-dev] One more try: Project Activity

Thanks for responding. Here are my thoughts.

The way that monkey scripts are realized in the UI should be customizable and extendable. Currently I can only get scripts to show in the "Scripts" menu.

For example I may want a script to show as a toolbar button with an icon and toolbar. This requires multiple values to be bound to the UI extension property in the script metadata. So you need more than just a "Toolbar" property. I would propose something like the following:

/*
* toolbar.name: My Script
* toolbar.icon: platform:/plugin/myplugin/icons/myicon.gif
* toolbar.tooltip: My Script Tooltip
*/

I wouldn't want to try and implement every Eclipse UI extension in the headers. I think one of the selling points of Eclipsemonkey is it's simplicity. Relative URLs for the icon reference would be more simple but platform URLs should be supported as well. I'm working on a patch to demonstrate this and the concept of extensible UI contribution handling without breaking backward compatibility.

The Scripts menu is contributed dynamically in some cases. This makes it impossible to filter using Eclipse Activities. It might make sense to separate UI contributions like this from the core.

Eclipsemonkey already has the concept of additional script stores but the stores are always directories on file. It would be nice if we could abstract this with some provider interface so script stores could be on the network or in a database.

There's also some security concern. Eclipsemonkey has no security built in. I think we should look into the potential for signing scripts. There is some good security work happening in Equinox.

The JUnit tests should be moved to another plug-in. And Eclipsemonkey could probably use more tests and comments ;-)

Inactive hide details for "Ingo Muschenetz" ---08/17/2007 08:35:41 AM---Hi Matthew,"Ingo Muschenetz" ---08/17/2007 08:35:41 AM---Hi Matthew,

"Ingo Muschenetz" <ingo@xxxxxxxxxx>

"Tools for Committer Community" <dash-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

08/17/2007 08:35 AM

RE: [dash-dev] One more try: Project Activity

Hi Matthew,

I personally didn't see a previous message, so thanks for resending.

We're using Eclipse Monkey in our RCP application and building some additional DOMs specific to our product. What sorts of features/work were you thinking of?

Best,
Ingo