Re: [dali-dev] Dali and Public API changes

I would like to add to Max's rant as well :) We are facing the same issues
when supporting multiple eclipse releases, so would be interested in the
Dali team's guidance on how to proceed.

We just discovered further API changes in the latest Juno codebase that
breaks us (bugzilla 377451)

Regards,
Len.

Max Rydahl Andersen <max.andersen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/24/2012 01:50 AM
Please respond to
"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [dali-dev] Dali and Public API changes

<rant>
Dali is almost always the API we cannot support across eclipse versions
with the same codebase - normally in all other API's we've been able to
use
proper interfaces or a in a few places a bit of reflection to work around
it - but for Dali the changes are just too massive.
</rant>

Do you have any tips on how adopters are meant to use Dali and support it
across of Eclipse 3.7/3.8 ?

How do your own adopters at Oracle do this ?

Is there any chance that latest Dali release can run on both 3.7 and
3.8/4.2 and we could do it that way ?
(i.e. depend on Dali M7 from both 3.7 and 3.8 codebases)

/max

On Apr 18, 2012, at 16:14 , Neil Hauge wrote:

> Sorry about this Dmitry.  There were indeed a lot of changes this year,
and we could have done a better job detailing the changes in the New Help
for Old Friends wiki.  We are making this a major focus for the next
release, where we hope to declare a lot of provisional API as public, and
also document provisional API changes as they occur.

> We have a number of these changes you mentioned documented in various
places, so expect a number of replies pointing you to this info.  I will
make sure this info gets rolled up into the Old Friends wiki.

> Thanks,
> Neil
>
> On 4/18/2012 5:54 AM, Dmitry Geraskov wrote:
>> Hi, guys,
>>
>> as you probably know hibernate depends on the JPT plugins. And almost
every change in provisional API affects us.
>> Would be nice if you try to describe the changes more carefully.
>>
>> On the page where they are expected to be found
>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/New_Help_for_Old_Friends_VII
>>

>> I see only 2 issues which changed provisional API (the author is Karen
Butzke in both). And the list for sure is not complete. I found the
following not described changes: