Re: [dali-dev] Dali 2.2 Project Plan available

Hi Len,

This has been a complicated issue and one that is not fully resolved. The short answer to your question is that that this bug is specific to EclipseLink, and that there currently isn't any support or tolerance planned for JPA 2.0 in Dali 2.2. The current Generic platform could give erroneous error messages if used with JPA 2.0 metadata. The "JPA 2.0 tolerance" enhancement that you mentioned does not accurately describe its purpose and it should be renamed.

The JPA 2.0 support being worked on for EclipseLink is "preview" support, and does not necessarily reflect what JPA 2.0 will eventually be when it is completed. The reason we have decided to include this support for the EclipseLink platform is because EclipseLink 1.1 will be final in early February, and is already in a functional freeze. As a result, we can specifically support these JPA 2.0 preview features in 1.1, since we know they won't be changing for the 1.1 platform. Since this is preview, we do not intend to create a JPA 2.0 facet in Dali 2.2. As a result, the JPA 2.0 tolerance in the EclipseLink 1.1 platform will be for the purpose of EclipseLink 1.1, but wouldn't necessarily apply to other JPA 2.0 platforms.

The difficulty with supporting/tolerating JPA 2.0 (in a non-preview, generic fashion) in Dali 2.2 is that the spec has not yet been finalized and likely won't be for several months, and at this moment we only have 7 weeks of development time left before the our functional freeze. The only possibility of Generic 2.0 support that I can envision for Dali 2.2 would involve creating a JPA 2.0 facet and a Generic 2.0 platform, and that platform consisting of a resource model, with no validation or context. This would be similar to JEE 6 tolerance support provided by other WTP projects. Even then, this would be difficult given the limited time, and may turn out to be inaccurate. We will continue to look at the possibility of this type of support for Dali 2.2, and as always, any feedback or help is welcome.

Neil

Leonard Theivendra wrote:
Hi Neil, I see JPA 2.0 tolerance listed as a committed item. Is this specific to EclipseLink only or can it be made to apply to generic JPA too? I'm trying to understand if there's any support or tolerance planned for JPA 2.0 in Dali 2.2. i.e. could the generic JPA tools in Dali 2.2 get in the way of JPA 2.0?

Thanks,
Len.

Leonard Theivendra
Websphere / IBM Software Solutions Toronto
email: theivend@xxxxxxxxxx
tel: (905) 413-3777  tie: 969-3777
fax: (905) 413-4920

Neil Hauge <neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent by: dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
01/15/2009 04:45 PM
Please respond to
"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[dali-dev] Dali 2.2 Project Plan available

The Dali 2.2 project plan is available in the standardized format:

http://www.eclipse.org/projects/project-plan.php?projectid=webtools.dali

The feature backlog has also been updated:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/Dali_feature_backlog_post_2.0

Let me know if you have any comments or questions,

Neil