Re: [dali-dev] Dali UI design for 1.0 - Meeting on Friday

Conference Call info:
Meeting ID: 444302
Pass: 123456
MeetingPlace Access Numbers:
>From the AMER region dial:
. 1-888-967-2253
. +1-650-607-2253
>From the EMEA region dial:
. +44 118 924 9000

Neil Hauge wrote:
Meeting: Dali 1.0 UI Design meeting
Time: Friday, December 15th, 11:00am - 12:30pm (16:00UTC)
Web conference: ID- 63921343 - http://conference.oracle.com
Agenda:  Present and review final UI proposals and determine which proposal to implement

Details:  There are still two basic approaches that we are currently reviewing, as noted in the email below.  Let me know if you have any questions.

Neil

Neil Hauge wrote:
There has been much discussion recently on the UI direction for Dali 1.0.  Here is a recap of things we have talked about over the past week or so.
  • We should still take advantage of the Project Explorer for the total picture, JPA project view
  • If possible, we should take advantage of the root node interrogation to determine the content type of an XML file.  The EMF XML translator appears to have a bug which prevents this usage.  A bug has been filed to correct this problem.
  • We have generally agreed that we would like to use properties to edit annotations.  We have somewhat agreed that using properties for editing orm.xml is also a good way to go, and has advantages in the UI consistency department.  An editor and outline could be used in this arrangement with the properties.
  • Paul introduced a new idea which could greatly simplify our complete UI story, and also provide consistency between annotation and orm.xml editing.  This idea includes moving the persistence navigation from the persistence outline into the properties (or even tabbed properties), where the persistence navigation is really a tree representing the structure of an entity.  This tree would be located on the left side of the properties pane and  would drive the UI content in the properties.  This removes the need for a second outline view in the annotation editing case.  It also makes it easier for us to use Tabbed Properties, since all of the UI would be reachable through one "JPA" tab.  On the XML side there would be a similar Entity structure tree inside of the properties.  We could choose to just use the tabbed properties to display our Entity properties for the XML Editor, or we could choose to create our own Editor and Outline, used primarily for Entity navigation.  The structure tree could display the merged, quick-view of an Entity while viewing XML -or- the merged view could be in our own orm.xml editor/outline if we were to create one.   With this strategy, we wouldn't need to have any "custom" views.  Everything could be done using platform components.  See attached  PropertiesStructureTreeConcept.jpg as a rough example of the XML case.

I think at this point we have 2 main proposals on the table.  One that would involve keeping our current Dali views along with a new Editor arrangment for XML, and the properties structure tree concept.  This new concept addresses several drawbacks in the earlier plan, including removing inconsistencies between Java and XML, allowing us more easily use tabbed properties in its current state, and addressing real estate concerns in the properties.   The main drawback to this new concept is that tree based properties navigation would be in a fairly small vertical space.

Neil