Re: [dali-dev] Integration with DTP

There was a misleading mistake in my message below:  RDB 1.0 should be DTP 1.0.  Sorry for the confusion.

Neil Hauge wrote:
I just had a discussion with John Graham from the Data Tools project regarding our adoption of DTP as our provider of DB metadata and tools.  We went over the following issues identified during our integration work:

Off-line DB support
- It appears that this functionality is no longer available in DTP, and this is a major requirement (as we discussed at the first DTP meetings) for our tooling.
Resolution:  This support is planned for DTP 1.0, scheduled for the end of 2006.  It is a part of the RDB parity feature set.

Forward Engineering (Schema Generation)
- This functionality was utilized by our 0.5 tooling, but won't actually be necessary moving forward, as we are planning to delegate this behavior to the JPA runtime implementations.
- It appears that along with this is the implication that there is no API defined to build a DB model.
Resolution:  This support is planned for DTP 1.0, scheduled for the end of 2006.  It is a part of the RDB parity feature set.

DB Model notifications
- There doesn't appear to be element change notification from the underlying DB model, for example, events that we could listen for to determine when the DB model has changed, so we can respond to this change in our UI.  There are notifications provided at the connection level.
Resolution:  Notification is available from the EMF model, but an ER should be entered to support a higher level notification manager that we could listen to for changes.

Reusable DTP wizard pages

- There doesn't appear to be reusable wizard pages in place for adopters to use in their own plugins to manage connections.
Resolution:  Currently there is functionality to re-launch the connection wizard, but an ER should be entered to make this more extensible for plugin providers.

We also discussed the need to keep our communication lines open, and to make sure that any issues or suggestions that we have are communicated to the DTP via the dtp mailing list and the newsgroups.  We should help DTP with requirements and prioritization.

Neil