Re: [dali-dev] Java 5.0

Given we are a Java 5-centric technology and that anyone who wants to develop JPA entities will have to have a Java 5 JDK installed I don't see why we don't leverage Java 5.

Are there any good arguments against requiring Java 5--besides the problem Eclipse has with garbage collection, occasionally pausing when performing code completion, and spontaneously exiting? :-) I'd complained of these problems to Arthur Ryman who blamed it on running Eclipse 3.2 on Java 5. Since I've switched to 1.4 my symptoms have disappeared. I believe these are well known issues and will be resolved--certainly by the time Dali 1.0 ships.

   Shaun

Paul Fullbright wrote:
Hello all,

I'd like to reopen the discussion regarding using Java 5.0. With WTP leaving the decision up to individual groups (not in the common framework), and with annotations being inherently 5.0, and with me wanting to use "more specific" method overrides, it seems a good time for it (the discussion).

Are there still major reasons we shouldn't move to it?

- Paul