Re: [dali-dev] Impromptu meeting to discuss persistence.xml use cases at 3:30 EDT

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

I wasn't there but here is stuff that were talked/mentioned during EclipseCon:

Provide context sensitive completion/editing of persistence.xml
We talked about having a rich UI, but extending the WTP XML editor wouldn't be bad either.
Use WTP facets to implement "Persistence project" ? (shouldn't this be named "JPA Persistence" or something actually ?)
Not listed below, but facets were mentioned in the meeting. Naming is something that needs to be nailed down, but luckily doesn't prevent us from doing much work, so is probably one of the last things done. :)
/max

We decided these things for now:

- We will not support adding persistence.xml to projects that aren't "persistence" projects. We won't prevent it; we just won't support it. For now, we're assuming that a persistence project is a self-contained persistence component unto itself, although it may be included in J2EE application structures, similar to existing J2EE "utility projects". - We will have a new "persistence project" wizard, which will add all the necessary natures and builders, etc. like we do now, but will also add a persistence.xml (optionally turned off) in the correct location. - Said wizard will also provide ability to configure basic persistence unit for the document (name, data source, etc.), but this is obviously farther down the list of functionality we'll provide for our first release. - (Way farther down the list) Said wizard will also possibly add ability to generate entities from tables. - (Also down the list, although probably not as far as the last item) Provide a (project?) setting for automatically synchronizing the persistence.xml with all persistent classes in the project. This is especially useful for SE projects, where there is no persistent class discovery. - We need to look at how J2EE projects utilize external (i.e. in other projects) jars as part of their deployment in order to better fit in to the WTP J2EE framework when we do decide to support more than the base case described above.

One thing we didn't discuss:
- Fold packaging into the core plugin (and core ui) plugin? If one is always creating a new persistence.xml when creating a new persistence project, it seems to make sense.

If anyone remembers anything different and/or additional, please speak up!

- Paul

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

which day is this at/on ?

/max