Re: [dali-dev] Questions regarding WTP project merge

Ok, but from what I understood this were not really doable today because
you would have to duplicate the code for how to feature-enable a project.

In any case, any pointers on how to actually do that today (or how/if it
will be able todo on Callisto) would be really nice since I could use it
for Hibernate Tools too.

/max

Dali will be one or more Features which means it can be separately
installed. You'll need to split it into at least 2 Features if you want to
address JDT users, i.e. J2SE. FYI, there is a similar need for Web
services. The latest specs define how to be a Web service client in a J2SE
runtime. It makes sense to define Features that can be used in J2SE
contexts. Perhaps there would be a core Feature and two other Features
that use it, one for Java projects and one for Web projects.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

"Max Rydahl Andersen" <max.andersen@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/27/2006 11:51 AM
Please respond to
"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>,
neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx
cc
dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject
Re: [dali-dev] Questions regarding WTP project merge

There will be some additional dependencies as Dali gets aligned with the
WTP architecture. For example, now Dali has a menu command to add
persistence to a project. The WTP way to do this is to use Facets.

The problem with this one is that apparently there is not a good way of
adding
a facet to a pure java project.

I don't understand what it means to "Run Dali as a standalone
application". Do you mean the tool or the applications it generates? If
you mean the tool, please explain. Thx.

I think many users want to use Dali without having to download the full
WTP.

/max

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

Neil Hauge <neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/28/2006 10:15 AM
Please respond to
neil.hauge@xxxxxxxxxx; Please respond to
"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion." <dali-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [dali-dev] Questions regarding WTP project merge

Markus,

I'll answer these questions based on my current understanding of how
this will work.  Arthur may be able to further clarify on a couple of
these.

- Is Dali to become a subproject of WTP with its own project lead?
Dali will become either a subproject of the WTP with its own lead OR a
component under the JST with a component lead. The WTP PMC, with input
from us, will probably decide what makes the most sense.

- What does this step mean for the code? Will it result in more code
dependencies and requirements (for example will it be possible to use
Dali outside of a container context. Afaik WTP relies on a container all
the time)?
This move will not change our core requirements.  We will still provide
support for outside the container contexts. It should not increase our
dependencies, as we already are and plan to be dependent on a number of
WTP components and frameworks.  Many of the WTP components do not rely
on container specific functionality.  The XML component would be a good
example of something that could be used in any environment.

- Will it still be possible to run Dali as a standalone application?
Yes, it would still be possible to run Dali as a standalone application
(WTP components would be a packaged pre-req)

- Is our project road map (task priorities/features/...) going to
change?
No, not specifically related to the move.  As our exposure to the
Eclipse community grows, different inputs may result in these types of
changes, but this is an expected part of the iterative nature of the
project.

Neil Hauge

Markus Kuppe wrote:

Hi,

after yesterdays conference calls several questions arose regarding
the project merge into the WTP in the next months.