Re: [dali-dev] Policy on Java compliance

I've been assuming that when we say we are compiling with 1.4 compliance that we imply we are also compiling with the 1.4 jars (e.g. rt.jar) on the build path. It does not make sense to use the 1.5 jars since 1.5 classes can have covariant return types like what we see here (i.e. Writer.append(...) returns a Writer, while PrinterWriter.append(...) returns a PrintWriter). I'm guessing covariant return types would really confuse a compiler trying to compile something to be 1.4-compliant. Does anyone see a reason why we shouldn't be compiling with the 1.4 jars on the build path?

Brian

Paul Fullbright wrote:
I believe it's because of the Writer/PrintWriter hierarchy.

In the 1.5 jdk, we have:

java.io.Writer
Writer append(...)

java.io.PrintWriter
PrintWriter append(...)

and in 1.4, it doesn't look like those methods exist.

Not sure exactly how you can have 1.4 compliant code using the 1.5 version of the jdk, since the method return type override seems to break compliance.  Of course, why IndentingPrintWriter doesn't complain, I don't know.  Perhaps it's because the 1.4-compliant eclipse 1.5 compiler doesn't compile IndentingPrintWriter correctly, although having EntitySourceWriter extend PrintWriter directly doesn't solve the compile problem.  The other explanation is the nested class nature of EntitySourceWriter, but I have no idea why that would do anything here.

-pwf

Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:

It is weird.

using jdk 1.4.2_08 for build path no errors
using jdk 1.5.0_05 for build path I get the errors.

/max

Brian,

I am also seeing this, and Max and Shaun were both having the problem as well.  Not sure what is going on though.  Very strange.  Karen does not have the problem, but we are both using the same Eclipse build.

Neil