RE: [dali-dev] Attribute type

My thought is that there’s more to it than just getJavaType().  Things like knowing if it’s an Enum, a primitive, a primitive wrapper, an array, generics.  And for the simple cases, what does getJavaType() return, a String name, a fully qualified name, a jdt IType?  But yes, you’re right that we’ll need the same thing for XML so it makes sense to put this api on PersistentAttribute.  So, if someone feels they can take this on in this iteration…

Karen

From: dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dali-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Paul Fullbright
Sent: Thursday, February 02, 2006 6:44 PM
To: General Dali EJB ORM developer discussion.
Subject: Re: [dali-dev] Attribute type

I'm not sure why this would be difficult to put on PersistentAttribute.... ?

Maybe not:
     persistentAttribute.getAttribute()
which seems to be a very java-ish thing, but certainly:
    persistentAttribute.getJavaType()
or something like that would be possible, especially because even for XML we'd need it.

- Paul

Karen Moore wrote:

Hi Dirk,

We have code for this, but currently it’s in 2 separate places and not where you can use it.  We either duplicate that code in a 3rd place or we clean it up now for you to have access to it.  You can get to the appropriate object by calling PersistentAttribute.getModelAdapter().  Cast the IPersistentAttributeModelAdapter to a JavaPersistentAttributeModelAdapter and call getAttribute().  From AbstractAttribute you can get a hold of the JDT IMember, IField, IMethod, or IType.

We have code that does what you need in JavaBasicModelAdapter.defaultApplies() and JavaReferencePersistentAttributeFlavorModelAdapter.javaDefaultTargetEntity().  Now while I don’t want to advocate cut and paste, that might be the simplest thing right now for completion of this iteration.  Then we need to make this a new task for the next iteration to clean this up and put the code in a place that makes sense for use in all 3 locations. Anyone else have suggestions?

Karen