Re: [cosmos-mgmt] Request to add a deployment team

Jason,

Thank you for your interest in participating in the COSMOS project.  Your timing is perfect as we are in the process of closing down the our initial milestone and defining the next set of work.  I would like to have a discussion at one of our upcoming architecture meetings to drill down into the details of what you would implement and how it relates to the other areas of COSMOS.

From a scheduling point of view, we have the architecture calls on Wednesdays.  Tomorrow's is focused on closing down our milestone and the team has been pretty heads down wrapping this up.  The following Wed. is July 4th and there will be no meeting that week and part of the team will be out the Tue/Thur.

Even though I would like to do this sooner, I would suggest that we schedule July 11th for the SDD discussion.  In preparation for the meeting I would ask the COSMOS community to please familiarize themselves with the SDD specification that is available at the link you provided.  Also, via this e-mail list, I would like to help define a set of talking points to help shape the discussion.

I am excited about incorporating this work into COSMOS and look forward to working with you in the future.

-Mark W.

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

"Jason Losh" <Jason.Losh@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-mgmt-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/22/2007 03:43 PM

Please respond to
Cosmos management <cosmos-mgmt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<cosmos-mgmt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Charlie Halloran Jr/Cary/IBM@IBMUS, Merri Jensen <Merri.Jensen@xxxxxxx>, Christopher A Mildebrandt/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS
Subject
[cosmos-mgmt] Request to add a deployment team

Hi,

I request consideration for addition of a deployment team to your COSMOS project.  There is work underway in OASIS to standardize deployment data in the form of a Solution Deployment Descriptor (SDD) as well as provide best practices for developing and deploying SDDs.  For your reference our public committee page can be found here
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=sdd.

While the SDD will be a standard with the weight of OASIS behind it, we are lacking a runtime and repository support for processing of SDDs.  In particular this [the runtime and repository] is a project that we would like to explore developing under the COSMOS umbrella.  I believe such a runtime directly relates to several of the COSMOS initiatives such as:

Deployment modeling
Deployment
Dynamic configuration
Configuration change tracking

And perhaps touches on some of the other focus areas in COSMOS as well.

Additionally, there are tools that will need to be developed in order to support the creation of SDDs.  We feel that these tools also benefit from being developed in an open source community and wish to include them as a tools sub-team either directly under COSMOS or as a sub-team under the proposed deployment team.

Thanks for your consideration and if there are any questions please let me know.

-Jason

Jason Losh
Software Manager, Installation Technologies
Release Management Division, SAS
Office: (919) 531-4759
Mobile: (919) 607-5709
Email: Jason.Losh@xxxxxxx