[cosmos-dev] Some questions on COSMOS framework..Pls help

Hi,

We're trying to adopt COSMOS for one of our projects that's trying to federate heterogeneous data sources. I'm pretty new to COSMOS and was doing a little ground work analysis to study the capabilities of the framework to start with. I debugged the StudentTeacherSample that comes with the cosmos-demo and following are my inferences.

Could some one kindly review my understanding and correct me if I'm wrong somewhere?

1. COSMOS provides a data federation framework with classes and interfaces that can parse through the CMDBf query requests & only "orchestrates" the query execution by calling appropriate query handlers, but DOES NOT transform the CMDBf query into a SQL and execute it against the physical data source.

2. COSMOS provides features that generate the query handler factory and the actual handlers have to be implemented by the developer.

3. CMDBf query doesn't query against the physical source but the MDR has to be a data provider (but how?) and the Query framework in COSMOS as part of the execution, will provide the handle (Context & Constraint) to the handlers and the actual query join / filtering is to be "handcoded" inside the handlers.

For instance, in the StudentTeacher example, the data provider being an XML, the parsed XML is filled into a data provider object (XMLRepository) and the query handlers execute the CMDBf query against this data provider. How does this work for an RDBMS table?

4. Is there a GUI support (either in WebUI or through any other plugin) to model the relationships between two entities?

I would be very thankful if someone can clarify these doubts of mine.

Thanks
Mano