RE: [cosmos-dev] Individual log files vs. a single Master log file

We need a web service that is registered with the broker. Create a log4j appender that talks soap to the logging web service.  The Logging web service could also appear in the UI, so you could use the UI to browse the logs in a grid or some other widget.

-----Original Message-----
From: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Muldoon, William H
Sent: Tue 6/3/2008 9:27 PM
To: hkyleung@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Cosmos Dev
Subject: [cosmos-dev] Individual log files vs. a single Master log file

Hubert

	Currently we have individual log files for each COSMOS
component. What is the advantage of individual log files compared to
having a single master log file for all COSMOS components?
	After seeing 6 different log files in the current build, I'm
thinking that I would prefer a single master COSMOS log file. My reasons
are:

1.	Usability: It's simpler for support to request a single log file
and the user to send a single log file (rather than obtaining individual
log files).
2.	Integration: a single log file works better with management
tools that view log files. Most of these management tools have a
filtering capability so one can easily extract the messages from a
single component, if required.
3.	Practicality: a master log file preserves the chronological
sequence of related messages from multiple components. For example, to
trace a DM registration with the Broker, a support person would
currently need to look at the DM log for the request and the Broker log
for the result (and match up the timestamps). A master log would show
the request and result together chronologically.

		I'm including the dev list for other opinions.

Regards
Bill

<<winmail.dat>>

Back to the top