[cosmos-dev] Eclipse version support question

Hello all,

A question came up as to whether COSMOS should require the use of Eclipse 3.4 for its Eclipse-based components, or if we should allow the use of an earlier version such as 3.3.  A separate question is whether we support earlier versions; this will make sense when you read on.

In our plugin prerequisites, you can indicate a minimum version for required bundles, and by default Eclipse fills in whatever the current version of the bundle is in your environment.  We had an internal adopter attempt to install the toolkit using Eclipse 3.3, and the prereq minimum versions that were auto filled-in prevented him from doing so.  The question is whether we change those version numbers to be equal to the 3.3 version strings, remove the version numbers entirely, or simply require the 3.4 versions to be used.  Even though this is related to the toolkit, this will have to be a project wide decision, as we don't want different components supporting different versions of Eclipse.

Is anyone aware of a requirement by an adopter to use our tools with Eclipse 3.3?  Even if not, should we remove the bundle prereq enforcement, and simply say "buyer beware" to those who try using a pre-3.4 installation of Eclipse?

Thanks,
David
---
David Whiteman | Tivoli Autonomic Computing
Eclipse COSMOS project committer | http://www.eclipse.org/cosmos/
david_whiteman@xxxxxxxxxx | 919-254-8224 | T/L 444-8224

Back to the top