[cosmos-dev] PROPOSAL: How to shorten the amount of time that we spend in meetings

Hi folks,

COSMOS has several meetings a week and I thought that we could try to reduce the amount of time that we spend in them. Some meetings have occasionally turned into de facto status meetings, with the meeting leader asking for status on bugzillas.

I propose that :
1. Each subproject meeting be 30 minutes long.
2. The Data Collection meeting and Data Visualization meeting be moved to their own time slots distinct from Architecture.
3. The Architecture meeting be scheduled later in the week after all of the team meetings.
4. We move the status gathering off-line before the team meeting begins.
        a. Specifically, each meeting leader will, before the meeting, update the wiki agenda for their meeting that day with the list of bugzillas for which status is needed, e.g. blocker, P1. There will be one section for each bugzilla owner.
        b. 30 minutes before the meeting the bugzilla owner checks the agenda to see what status they're supposed to provide. They then update the section under their name with the status for their bugzillas. By providing each person with their own section I hope to avoid wiki save collision.
        c. The team meeting proceeds to discuss non-status items such as design. If a subject arises that cannot be resolved by that subproject alone then the project lead adds that topic to the Architecture call agenda later in the week.
5. The Architecture meeting would not cover bugzilla or test status; instead, status is discussed in the Community call, with all status having been gathered by the subprojects before that Community call begins.

I am proposing that the status be tracked on a wiki rather than in bugzilla for two reasons: 1. we need a point-in-time summary for the roll up in the Community call, 2. There's no bugzilla field that can be read for the detailed status and we need a report that shows the status at a glance rather than forcing someone to read each bugzilla in the list.

This proposal will work only if everyone gets their status in on time. If anyone misses updating their status then your peers would be forced to listen to you report on the status of your bugzillas.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ruth.

Ruth Lee