RE: FW: [cosmos-dev] RE: CMDBf registration questions

Hi Bill,

The CMDBf says "In push mode, the MDR initiates the federation."  I think
it can be generalized to say that in push mode, any entity other than the
federating CMDB initiates the federation.  In a registration message, the
InstanceIds have MdrId and localId that uniquely identify the CIs.  So it's
not necessary to ask the MDR to do the registration of its own CIs.  We can
have the UI, or a registration manager that help register items from one or
more MDRs.  This kind of registration should still be considered the "push
mode".

The problem I described was not caused by the fact that we are using the UI
to initiate the registration, but the way the function was implemented.  If
we are using the push mode, the UI will do registration with the federating
CMDB using the standard registration service, which will return the
registration status for each item.   Prior to the registration, the UI need
to get the list of items and relationships via the query services of the
MDRs.

I opened two bugs related to this issue:  bugs 221612 and 221613.

We can demonstrate pull mode in the COSMOS demo as well, but that's a new
ER.

Thanks,
_________________________
Hubert Leung
IBM Toronto Lab
hkyleung@xxxxxxxxxx
905-413-3382

             "Muldoon, William
             H"
             <William.Muldoon@                                          To
             ca.com>                   "Cosmos Dev"
             Sent by:                  <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
             cosmos-dev-bounce                                          cc
             s@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: FW: [cosmos-dev] RE: CMDBf
             03/05/2008 04:43          registration questions
             PM

             Please respond to
                Cosmos Dev
             <cosmos-dev@eclip
                  se.org>

Hubert

             The original point of this thread was that the pull mode
should
be initiated by the federating CMDB (with the MDR) and the push mode
should be initiated by the MDR (with the federating CMDB). There should
be no other parties involved. In COSMOS, we have introduced a third
party (our UI), which can only act in a "hybrid" mode using a
combination of push and pull. The hybrid mode introduced a registration
integrity issue, which became the main topic of the thread.

             I agree with all your points about our implementation.
Basically
our UI is testing the test federating CMDB, which doesn't really help
our adopters. It just illustrates some of the
registration/deregistration concepts.

             So what are we trying to accomplish?

             Our adopters are interested in using COSMOS to build MDRs
and/or
Federating CMDBs. I think our goal should be to provide tools to assist
them with their implementations. IMHO, this means providing samples and
utilities to help them implement the push and pull modes of the CMDBf
Registration spec. I suggest this approach:

1. Remove all non-standard API from the test federating CMDB, as you
suggested. Then add an exemplar pull mode implementation.
2. Add an exemplar push mode implementation to the Example MDR that
works in conjunction with the test federating CMDB.
3. Both 1 and 2 should utilize our existing cmdbf services, which may
need to be enhanced for more registration utilities.

             I'm not sure how the UI fits into the above approach. Maybe it
can drive the test federating CMDB and example MDR though an
administrator interface.

Regards
Bill