[cosmos-dev] Hole in our system testing

Currently the QA team is documented as doing their testing based off the scenario described on the http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOS_Demo_i9 page.  This page roughly maps to what we've been calling our "demo".  However, restricting QA testing to this scenario leaves a hole in testing the externals of our components.  Two other areas of COSMOS that mostly involve a UI are the SML tooling and the Data Manager toolkit.  As it's well accepted that it's desirable to receive 3rd party testing (i.e. testing by someone other than a component's developer), I think we need to add those two areas to the list of QA responsibilities.  As far as I know, neither of those areas has been looked at much by anyone outside of the developers who built them, which as we saw in our i9 end-of-iteration integration issues, can be a problem.

That said, since our packaging separates our project into "demo", "SDK", "Resource Modeling", etc., just tacking these scenarios onto the Demo page doesn't feel right.  I think there are likely multiple actors in the audience for a demo: one that wants to see the existing COSMOS components working, and one that wants to extend COSMOS.  For the latter audience, I would suggest we create an "Advanced Demo" page to cover the topics we have targeted for the Developer Guide, such as the two I mentioned.  That page would instruct the reader (i.e. QA) to download the SDK and the RM packages and to walk through those use cases (and any others not currently being tested independently).

Thoughts?

David

Back to the top