[cosmos-dev] [*** SPAM ***]Re: Re: Dojo toolkit legal issues are gone

Regarding Harm's comment below about "there must be some rule about not needing to clear operating systems" - he is correct, and here is that rule: http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse_Policy_and_Procedure_for_3rd_Party_Dependencies_Final.pdf
The Technology PMC would be happy to entertain a proposal from the COSMOS project about Dojo as per that policy.

As for the difference between the difference between an Eclipse Project's website and code distributed by an Eclipse Project: yes, there is a difference. Eclipse Members do not build products on top of the websites but they do build products on top of the projects. Thus the IP rules for the project releases are stricter than the project websites.

- Bjorn

P.S. Sorry about the delayed reply. While I read all the dev lists, I do so in batches about once a month, so I didn't catch this email right away. (An email cc'd to me as well as the list would get to me faster.)

Interestingly I mentioned the alternate approach to Sheldon because at the time each release level of the dojo toolkit was being IP checked and they change quickly, while in the meantime the question of including it in the packaging was being discussed. I recall Sheldon took the approach of making this configurable so you could work with what ever compatible dojo variant and location you wanted.

Bjorn clearly has the say on this as your PMC lead and as one of the few people that know the rules due to extreme exposure ;-),
Requiring an operating system I gather is simply considered reasonable, as is the Java runtime, I believe you will find sprinkled through the Eclipse.org website URLs to company websites, that may or may not contain _javascript_, that are clearly not EPL. This part of COSMOS has to be hosted on some web server before it will "function" but I don't think COSMOS is expected to get IP approval for a server or specify a specific dependancy on Tomcat. Even if DOJO is cleared it relies on the browser to work and I don't think we are getting firefox and IE cleared ;-). I think you can find some _javascript_ on the eclipse.org as well.

So there is some boundary that I could not find stated somewhere.

So my question would be about the criteria that says a URL on the website can point to non EPL, yet a url in some _javascript_ web from a project requires IP approval. I can imagine a fuzzy discussion about the functioning of a website versus the functioning of a website that is the project product, but this may be something to get cleared up at the foundation level since web interfaces are becoming of greater interest to the Eclipse community at large. It seems the eclipse.org website is the product of a project as well ;-)
COSMOS may be on the bleeding edge here.

--

[end of message]

Back to the top