Re: [cosmos-dev] Rush Hour Traffic [[DON-->READ THIS]]

I like the one-mailing-list-per-subgroup solution.

Julia McCarthy
julia@xxxxxxxxxx

Inactive hide details for Ruth Lee <ruthdaly@xxxxxxxxxx>Ruth Lee <ruthdaly@xxxxxxxxxx>

          Ruth Lee <ruthdaly@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

          02/06/2008 04:00 PM

          Please respond to
          Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject

Re: [cosmos-dev] Rush Hour Traffic [[DON-->READ THIS]]

TPTP had a different mailing list per subproject. Developers from that subproject would subscribe to just their subproject's list and also to the common (i.e., common to all subprojects) list. If we use that approach in COSMOS, we'd get something like the following:

Option 1:
newsgroup: end-user stuff (consistent with other eclipse projects)
cosmos-dev: common to all subprojects, such as build break notifications
cosmos-dv: data visualization
cosmos-dc: data collection
cosmos-rm: resource monitoring
cosmos-me: management enablement

BTW, does anyone use the cosmos-mgmt or cosmos-pmc mailing lists?

Option 2:
Alternatively, we could:
- create a separate newsgroup for technical discussions (assuming that we're allowed more than one newsgroup)
- keep the existing newsgroup for end user stuff
- use cosmos-dev for build break notifications, announcements of candidate drivers, and other time-sensitive information.
- use cosmos-mgmt for discussions about suggested change of processes (e.g. the creation of a weekly integration build)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ruth.

Ruth Lee
IBM Toronto Lab
ruthdaly@xxxxxxxxxx
T/L 313-4453

David Whiteman <David_Whiteman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/06/2008 03:16 PM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [cosmos-dev] Rush Hour Traffic [[DON-->READ THIS]]

On other projects, the email lists tend to be for committer & design discussions, and the newsgroups for user questions. Given that we don't have an established user community, the newsgroup has been quiet. We could move some discussion to the newsgroup, but I'm not sure how you would determine which kind of info belongs there vs. the email list, unless it has to do with how time-critical it is. So maybe we do design discussion on the newsgroup and notices that everyone needs to see on the email list? We could also look at creating multiple email lists or using subject line triggers to help categorize the messages if we just stuck with the email list.

David

Mark wrote on 02/06/2008 03:00:30 PM:

> On the call today, Don indicated that the amount of traffic on the mailing list is
> getting to the point where it's difficult to keep up.
>
> For a while, we were using the newsgroup as well as this mailing list.  That's
> tapered off, but we could try leveraging the newsgroup instead of the mailing list
> if we think it would help reduce the traffic and make managing the flow if
> information more manageable.
>
> Just thinking out loud....

cosmos-dev mailing list
cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx