[cosmos-dev] Performance positioning of the COSMOS M2 vis-a-vis P2P integrations

All,

On more than one occasion, some of the reviewers of the COSMOS presentations have put the following questions on the table; and this usually happens when we describe the data manager….

“But you just added TWO layers to my data-integration problem that I solved using point-to-point integration… Specifically, you are now asking me to add Data Managers to BOTH of the products I just integrated via a P2P approach?”

Obviously, this view has its flaws, i.e. it fails to recognize that COSMOS offers a standards-based data integration building blocks / tools / approaches that could one day become the lingua franca for such integrations in this business space…  Eventually, COSMOS could alleviate the need for MANY (but definitely NOT ALL) point-to-point integrations.

Thus, there will ALWAYS be need for SOME point to point integrations, where blindingly fast and massive amounts of data exchange are key criteria.

Now the question: do we need to start to put some thresholds / guidelines in place that will enable adopters to determine if COSMOS is a viable solution for them?  These thresholds or guidelines or whatever could be used by a potential adopter to determine if they should use a COSMOS-based approach or go for a P2P integration.  Or do we say that, “COSMOS will impose minimal overhead due to its Data Managers and associated infrastructure, and should be considered for ALL data centric integrations; and P2P integrations must only be attempted as a last resort?”

Or in other words, how brave should we be J in positioning our product?  Interestingly, this question comes up VERY frequently from data centric audiences, who are our primary adopter target…  Seems the data folks are very much data performance focused, however, there are MANY use cases that do not entails large amounts of data transfer between products.

Thoughts / Feedback / Comments?,

Jimmy Mohsin

Cell   +1-609-635-1703

Back to the top