[cosmos-dev] Re: The road ahead

A few things...
I copied eclipse-dev on this note b/c there are a few other folks that are interested in this thread.

Sheldon is going to have an updated programming model document/wiki page for the UI out by EOD tomorrow.  I think that Jimmy has a list of ERs that can serve as a starting point for dividing up the work.

Relative to the demo:  Hubert is moving some of the code required to run the demo into head today.  Sheldon will have an updated UI based on this code once it's moved.  As we decided in Detroit, Hubert will work with the release engineering team (heads up Balan) to cut a manual build.  The RE team will update the "how to run the demo" page etc. and this will be the i7 candidate driver that we will all begin testing.

Jimmy:  This will be a good time for the person from CA that will be working on the release engineering team to get involved.  Because we now have the domain, broker, et. working, the build needs to be modified.  Hubert will outline what we need for the manual build.  I expect Balan make sure this we get it built by EOD tomorrow.  This will allow us to start testing the candidate driver by Wed.  We will also need to update the automated build.  Again, I'll look to Balan to update the build and get automated scripts working again.

Relative to setting up the development environment.  We have a wiki page setup for this (http://wiki.eclipse.org/COSMOSDataCollectorEnvironment).  It's changed a bit b/c of the refactoring.  I've asked Hubert & Sheldon to update this once we've got the candidate build up and running.  Because there is some other cleanup work relative to the refactorings etc. our target is end of week.  If this turns out to be a bottleneck, let us know and we'll see if we can move some things around.

-mw

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

Re: The road ahead  Link

Sheldon Lee-Loy to: Todd, John A
11/12/07 02:13 PM

Cc: "Devine, John T", "Lupu, Monica F", "Muldoon, William H", Mark D Weitzel

Hi John,

As mentioned in my note to Jimmy there are several enhancements assigned to myself and suggestions I made that the CA folks can tackle.

I would start by understanding the dojo toolkit programming model since the COSMOS ui will extend and use alot of the DOJO programming model concepts for:
- object declaration/inheritance
- pub/sub messaging
- method connections
- attach points
- asynchronous requests

Here is the link to the dojo document

http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-9-0

There's also some good information how to debug and test client side code.

http://dojotoolkit.org/book/dojo-book-0-9/part-4-meta-dojo-0

Unfortunately running the demo is another story.  Right now the current COSMOS user interface works off a sandbox build that Hubert created.  I talked with Hubert and he said that this code is not simple to set up.     The current COSMOS user interface code will be revamped with the programming model design I am currently documenting.  I plan to finish the documentation tomorrow.

We should however talk about the next steps going foward in terms of who is assigned the ERs so that design documents can be created for those enhancements.

Bill,  are there some logistics that the CA team has to go over before we can discuss this?  If so let me know when we can talk.

Thanks,

Sheldon
______________________________________
Sheldon Lee-Loy
Tivoli Autonomic Computing, IBM Toronto Lab
email: sleeloy@xxxxxxxxxx
phone: 905.413.2610

"Todd, John A" <John.Todd@xxxxxx>

11/12/2007 08:34 AM

Sheldon Lee-Loy/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "Muldoon, William H" <William.Muldoon@xxxxxx>, "Lupu, Monica F" <Monica.Lupu@xxxxxx>, "Devine, John T" <John.Devine@xxxxxx>
cc
Subject
The road ahead

Welcome back for those of you that went to Detroit.
I would like to have a post-mortem pow-wow specifically focused on the tasks involved in the UI effort going forward and who’s going to do what.
Looking to see where I can help and start actually getting into the game here, as I have not fully done that yet.
There was also (unless I’m imagining it, which is entirely possible) a demo of what we currently have in that space that I missed but am interested in.

- John

Back to the top