RE: [cosmos-dev] question on management domain and brokers

In the thread below, it seems like several distinct things are going on.  I'll try to comment on some of the threads here.  Let me know if I'm crazy.

<<Hmmm. Well, if we can assume that the MD and the DBs are somehow reflected in the CMDB, then we can make the CMDB identities part of the handshake protocol. >>
I'm not sure that MDs and DBs are something that will ultimately reside in a CMDB--maybe, but not necessarily.   What I do agree on is that these things have identity and a lifecycle--that they are, in short, resources.  What we need to understand is the "capability" of a management domain.  This includes the operations that form the API, its properties, and any events that it would emit.
Jimmy:  Has this information been in the documents you've circulated to date?

<<Then we can place the responsibility squarely in the MD’s lap (which it can shovel off to the CMDB for sophisticated deployments) >>
There does seem to be general agreement that a client is going to make a request to the management domain something like: "Which data brokers do I use?".  I think we are all agreeing on two things:
1. It's the management domain's job to figure this out
2. How it does this is a point of variability in the framework the implementation of which should be hidden behind an interface.

<<Perhaps there is always a default broker, and that is the one that is sent back to the requestor, unless the MD accepts some parameter from the requestor, that can influence the MD into giving the requestor back a non-default broker.>>
I don't think we should make any assumptions on a default broker or even IF there is a broker at all.  I think it's perfectly valid for the management domain to return an empty set when asked to provide the brokers to the client.

<<The domain should be aware of these sorts of scoping information associated with each broker and make it available on request.  Preferably the client should be able to query for brokers by location or data type.  We could let the query default to "my location" and "my product's data" so clients that don't need to aggregate data from multiple brokers would automatically find the broker that is most likely to be appropriate.>>
Here we are talking about the handshake b/t the client and the management domain.  I'm thinking that the client is also presented as a manageable resource so that we it would have a distinct set of properties etc...  One of the things we could do at this point is use metadata exchange to get this information.  This way, we can just say that the decision on which broker(s) to provide is based upon, among other things, the metadata provided by the client.

<<I think that we can keep it fairly simple >>
I agree.

-mw

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

"Ebright, Don" <Don.Ebright@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/19/2007 10:48 AM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"Cosmos Dev" <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
RE: [cosmos-dev] question on management domain and brokers

I think that we can keep it fairly simple and perhaps even let most clients be unaware of the existance of multiple data brokers.

There are several reasons why a customer might have multiple brokers, but in many cases the interests of client software will split along the same boundaries.  For example, a customer may install multiple independent products or suites with embedded brokers.  Large customers will install multiple instances of a product because of differing scopes of control such as regional data centers.

The domain should be aware of these sorts of scoping information associated with each broker and make it available on request.  Preferably the client should be able to query for brokers by location or data type.  We could let the query default to "my location" and "my product's data" so clients that don't need to aggregate data from multiple brokers would automatically find the broker that is most likely to be appropriate.

The scoping information for the brokers could reside in the CMDB or it could just be part of the configuration of the broker itself.

Regards,

Don

The contents of this e-mail are intended for the named addressee only. It contains information that may be confidential. Unless you are the named addressee or an authorized designee, you may not copy or use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please notify us immediately and then destroy it
.