RE: [cosmos-dev] question on management domain and brokers

Hi Hubert,

OK, here goes…

>> I remember Martin said in the meeting that data managers contact the management domain, not a broker.  The management domain has a UDDI registry, which is a logical place to start to discover location of brokers.

My recollection is that we decided NOT to make UDDI a requirement for a DomainManager implementation. Regardless, the idea was that an external client would go to the DomainManager to find out about all available DataBrokers.

If data managers know how to contact brokers directly, the clients can do that as well.  Then what's the use of the management domain?

From the point of view of a DataManager, I’m not sure there is any need for a DomainManager. To me, it makes more sense to deploy DataManagers with an affinity to one or more well-know brokers (well known from the DataManager’s point of view) so that the DataManager can use WSDM Advertisement to notify the DataManager of it’s availability, and let the DataBroker roll up its knowledge of available DataManagers to the DomainManager if one exists. From the client point of view, it seems easier to be able to bootstrap use cases from a single point (the DomainManager), and possibly delegate some of the client use case logic (for example, find me the DataManager for X) to the DomainManager.

What I'm trying to clarify is not the "merged domain manager / broker" simplified scenario, but the real multi-broker scenario. "Visit all brokers until you find one that works" is not an elegant solution.

Was that intended to be a smarmy comment? ;-) In any case, a client will be “visiting brokers” one way or another. Taking your UDDI case, each client would be forced to visit the known brokers in order to find an appropriate match for a given request. If you interpose the DomainManager, then it’s possible to offload some of that client implementation into the DomainManager to simplify the marriage-making and allow for incremental optimization without the need to update clients.

Martin, Jimmy, Chris, please wade in!

Cheers,

Joel