[cosmos-dev] COSMOS DC Assemblies and TPTP DMS

If you have not had an opportunity to review the Data Management Service document on the TPTP wiki site (http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/TPTP_DMS), please find a few moments to read it through.  I was recently looking this over in an attempt to reconcile the document that Don started regarding our data collection service with what is there in TPTP.  We are each attempting to accomplish a similar task, and by comparing the two documents we will be able to identify how the technical pieces relate to one another, the contracts between the different layers and components, and the concrete relationship between the two projects.   Looking at what is there in each document so far, I would make the loose comparison of the following components:

COSMOS        TPTP
Data Source        Event Source

Data Filter
& Transform        Event Parser

Data Sink        Store Specific Loader

Each "stack" follows the same processing pattern and is comprised of the same set of components:
1. An event comes in and some logic is performed to determine the "kind" or "type" of event.  This determines the set of POJOs that get created to hold the event data.
2. These POJOs are registered based on the "kind" or "type" of event.  For example, if the event is a CBE, we get one set of objects, if it's statistical data, we get a different set of objects.  In COSMOS, this is the Data Filter & Transform and TPTP, the Event Parser
3. Once we have a set of POJOs, we find the data store(s) (again based on registration) that will persist them.  COSMOS, Data Sink, TPTP, Store Specific Loader.

Between each of these processing steps is an API contract.  Between the Data Filter/Event Parser and the Data Sink/Store Specific Loader, there is a set of POJOs that serve as this contract.  For example, in the case of statistical models, this is where we would consider using the SDMX standard that Chris pointed us to the other day.  For WEF, this will be the apache muse WEF implementation.  We still need to work out the other set of POJOs that we need--we have not really started looking at what we've been calling the "resource", which gave us the topology graph in the demo.   On the call with the TPTP team last week, we agreed to share the same POJO models.  At each contractual API boundary, there is the idea of registration so the components can be bound together dynamically.  COSMOS calls this a "Data Collection Assembly" and in TPTP, this is the DMS itself.

We've been working since January to make sure we position the technology offered in the two projects effectively.   As the TPTP DMS is starting be flushed out, we need to re-visit this to understand how the two projects will work together.  For example, when the DMS is fully implemented, how much of it will COSMOS reuse?  COSMOS has requirements on loose coupling and dynamic binding and assembly.  Will the TPTP DMS support this model?  This would be a good use case to determine how other management infrastructure will fit into the COSMOS framework.

The next step is to ask the TPTP team to present the DMS.  Regardless of project boundaries etc. I'd like to make sure we have a complete shared understanding of each others requirements.  For example, since COSMOS is not shipping a database, we are going to use TPTP "out of the box".  However, given the DMS work, we need to ensure the requirements we have will be satisfied by TPTP.  Joel's work at plugging in some TPTP components is a good start and needs to be extended to include the DMS.

Please let me know your thoughts when you get a moment.  I'll ping the TPTP team and see when we can get something setup.

Thanks!

-Mark W.

Mark Weitzel | STSM | IBM Software Group | Tivoli | Autonomic Computing | (919) 543 0625 | weitzelm@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top