Re: [cosmos-dev] Elevator Speech

Although it is a regular high level debate that this level of tooling will erode larger commercial offerings.

There are typically two import bullets to shoot that debate.

1. If the level of function we provide is a serious threat to the value proposition of the existing commercial offering, then the offering is at risk anyway as there are many more functional offering available at low cost. This is actual an opportunity in that case as the offering can extend COSMOS and end up with more value add and be "open and extensible"

2. A regular add in commercial offering is the scalability and direct customer support they provide as well as ease of install and configuration. Although I am sure the COSMOS mailing lists and newsgroups will be highly responsive, it won't equate to commercial support.  I also don't think a deployment on Derby is the scalable answer. Install and TCO are just not the prime focus of the project. Out of the box experience will be awesome I am sure, but that is not going to be a secure enterprise or SMB managed deployment.

We have to be very clear about the difference between our "vision" and aspirations versus real current commercial viability.

Thanks for your time.
Harm Sluiman, STSM,
phone:905-413-4032   fax: 4920
cell: 1-647-300-4758
mailto:sluiman@xxxxxxxxxx
Admin : Arlene Treanor atreanor@xxxxxxxxxx  Tie: 969-2323 1-905-413-2323

Oliver E Cole <oec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/21/2007 12:23 PM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [cosmos-dev] Elevator Speech

    Are we "cool" with telling our "sponsors" (in June) that the intent is to build software that systems management tools can be built upon?

    It is a little of a dance, saying that it won't corrode commercial opportunities, yet will provide a platform that is fully intended to allow someone else to do such.
I can live with it though....

--oec

Marius Slavescu wrote:

This is from the main COSMOS page:

"
The COSMOS (COmmunity-driven Systems Management in Open Source) project aims to provide an extensible, standards-based platform upon which software developers can create specialized, differentiated and inter-operable offerings of tools for system management."

If you replace with platform with framework will read close to what I said.

In some interpretations platform could provide more that what a framework would do and in others they can mean the same thing (I prefer the second).

Regarding the "commercially competitive" comment, the level of competitiveness will be set by the participants (I mean the companies that contribute) to the project and I think that happens in all the other Eclipse projects.

Thanks !

Marius Slavescu
IBM Tivoli Autonomic Computing - Toronto Lab
Phone: 905-413-3610

Oliver E Cole <oec@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by:
cosmos-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

03/21/2007 11:03 AM

Please respond to
Cosmos Dev
<cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Cosmos Dev <cosmos-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
Re: [cosmos-dev] Elevator Speech

Agreed on exemplary.

 Is COSMOS supposed to provide a software framework?  When we go back to our people in June, do we tell them that the intent is to provide a software framework for interoperability?  Or is that too close to the "commercially competitive" trip wire?

--oec

Hawkins, Joel wrote:

+1. Exemplary implementation reads better as well.

Cheers,

Joel