RE: [corona-dev] Content Adapters - first thoughts

Some thoughts after discussion with Marcin:

How do you think we should access data from a web service call?

We assumed that this question concerns what kind of object should be returned by web service.

That would depend on what we want to do with such returned object. If we want only a way for wrapping some query results - simple value object would be enough, but if we want a client to use such object including keeping a track of taken changes - service data object seems like a good choice.

How should this be integrated into a Context Container?

Not sure of what kind of integration is mentioned here… but what about treating a Context Container as complex/compound service data object

Should we make the web service call every time we need the data or once and then cache data?

That would depend on the kind of exposed web service. In case of data not being changed often it doesn’t make sense to have multiple web service calls returning the same data with overhead resulting from data serialization/soap message creation/data deserialization etc. Such calls could be trigged by some specific events informing that e.g. new team member is added – thus update team member repository.

In case of web services returning data frequently changed/updated e.g. events history – it makes no sense to cache it on the client side.

How should be store the information for making the web service call?

We are not sure we understood that question – please explain some more…

Should we treat a web service endpoint like a repository and use a repository descriptor or is it a different object?

As a repository.

Can we automatically convert the web service call result into a SDO object or does each web service require additional code to create the SDO object?

What about creating sdo on the server side and wrapping data graph by soap message?

Here is some simple example of using sdo with web services (page 30): http://ftpna2.bea.com/pub/downloads/commonj/Commonj-SDO-Specification-v1.0.pdf

Edyta

These are the questions I was trying to answer with Content Adapters.

Is this a good way to integrate information from web service calls into Context Container?

I just thought someone other than me might have an idea about how this should work.

Glenn Everitt