Re: [cme-dev] plans for 3.1?: USABLE now

Hi Phil,

> I hope you're right about this last point but I admit I'm less
> optimistic.  As I
> understand it, the classfile format underwent some changes in 1.5
> that I expect
> will break tools like JikesBT that are tooled around the old format.
> That said,
> the problems may not be too hard to fix (especially not for the
> authors, some of
> whom are at hand?)
Jeff Palm is looking into this, to get a sense of the precise nature and
extent of the issues.

> Please keep me posted as you explore the move to 3.1 and especially
> if you have
> to shelve it for any amount of time.  I might be able to help you
> chase bugs...

Meanwhile, I think it makes sense as a first step to get the CME working
under Eclipse 3.1 but using compiler language level 1.4 and JDK 1.4.
Towards that end, I have checked in some changes to projects ant,
artifacts.ant and util.env.eclipse that address all the compilation
problems and most of the test execution problems. This version also works
with Eclipse 3.0. I have also checked in the org.eclipse.cme plugin with a
cme.jar containing these changes. The UI runs correctly for the standard
CME demo. So this version seems usable - for language level 4 (which I
think the defaulat when Eclipse 3.1 comes up).

The only tests that fail are the "businessdemo plainway tests", which fail
with some sort of error when the composed programs execute. Given that
everythng else works, it would not surprise me if this were something to do
with the application itself, rather than the composition, but I don't know
yet. I won't be able to get back to this for at least a couple of days, so
if you want to take a look, please do - but send me a note to let me know
you are doing so, so we don't duplicate effort.

Thanks, Harold

Back to the top