Re: [cme-dev] Contributing Views to CME

Hi Sian,

Among other things, I have in mind a viewer that much like the current explorer provides navigation (and modification) of the concern model. This viewer adds new support for different ways to group/organize, modify and present concerns.

As for your suggestion, I think it's dead-on. Surfacing a way for contributors to listen for ConManBuilder builds (and changes to the concern model in general) would be keen.

Another thing that would be nice would be to decouple the viewer from the explorer in the context of actions on search results. For instance, processClick() in DefaultSearchResults looks like this:

   public void processClick() {
	if(element != null){
		ConcernExplorerView conEx =
			CMEPlugin.getDefault().getConcernExplorer();
		if(conEx != null) {
			conEx.select(element);
		}
			ConcernModelUtils.openElementInEditor(element);
	}
   }

Ideally, I'd like to hook into this and have the item selected in my view as well. Similarly, SearchResultsView handles the ConcernExplorer directly (in fillContextMenu(..)) and I'd possibly like to hook in there too (but I have to give it a little more thought).

Do you have time to look into these ideas?  Or should I propose something?

Thanks!

-phil

Sian January wrote:

Hi Phil,

What kind of thing were you thinking of doing with these views? The different CME views perform very different functions and I'm not sure that abstracting the concept would necessarily gain anything, although if you are thinking of something like updating all views of a certain type after the concern model is built perhaps an observer-style mechanism would work. In this case the interested views could register with ConmanBuilder or an appropriate place and then be notified of every build. Is this the kind of use you had in mind?

Sian

*Philip Quitslund <pq@xxxxxxxxxx>*
Sent by: cme-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

26/04/2005 21:51
Please respond to
"CME developers' discussion"

	cme-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
	[cme-dev] Contributing Views to CME

Hi All,

I'm interested in adding a view to CME.  (This view is much like the
ConcernExplorer view but with some extended features.) Before I do too much hacking I thought I'd best put the question to you: is there no clean way to do
this, or am I missing something?

I ask because things look pretty hard-wired at first blush: the CMEPlugin
contains references to the ConcernExplorer, SearchView and ResultsView (without any clear mechanism for adding others) while ConmanBuilder explicitly sets the
ConcernExplorer's input after building the concern model, etc.

There are a number of ways to address this (if it's seen as a short-coming)...
Before I speculate though, I wonder if this is a desired feature.  Should
clients be able to do this kind of thing?  (I think so! ;))

Has anyone thought about this? If not and assuming there is interest, I'd be
happy to draft a proposal for how this support might be added to start the
conversation.

Thanks!

-phil