[cme-dev] feature suggestion: predicates based on queries

Hi All,

I'd like to suggest that we add a feature to the UI to provide support for predicates, i.e., boolean expressions over concern models.

There are at least a few forms that a predicate language could take.  To start with, though, I'd be content with an adaptation of our current query language.  For example, I'd like to be able to test whether the results of evaluating one query were the same as, a subset of, or disjoint from the results of evaluating another query.  (Not that I might not enjoy being able to evaluate some more complicated expressions.  :-)  )

Also, to start with it would be a big step to have a predicate-oriented version of the current query and results views, i.e., somewhere a user could formulate, evaluate, and possibly save predicates.  That would at least support the manual testing of things like the correctness, consistency, and completeness of concern models.

It would also be nice to be able to attach predicates to concerns, as we do now with queries, but as a way of specifying and possibly enforcing consistency conditions.  Enforcement is a sizeable and tricky issue, but just being able to attach predicates to concerns, and perhaps having a button that would allow a user to manually evaluate the predicates attached to a concern model, would be a big step.

Regards,

Stan

Back to the top