Re: [cme-dev] Composition and Query Language

On Mon, 2004-07-26 at 18:00, Harold Ossher wrote:

Hi Harold,

> > On the other hand, I'd want to consider bit rot by adding too many
> > constructs to the language. Unfortunately a set of independent languages
> > is not necessarily better as we ould have to face additional problems
> > with interoperability of the languages and their constructs.
>
> It seems to me that extraction and composition are closely-enough related
> that, if we have a general-purpose composition language, it could and
> should handle extraction too, with options to control the declarative-
> completeness-magic (or related approach). Certainly, we expect the
> composition component to handle extraction too, appropriately driven.

Yes, I concur.

>  If we
> go the DSL route, though, then a DSL for extraction (which I think is what
> you're suggesting) seems right to me. But Peri has more intuition in this
> area
> than I do...

Generally, your above approach sounds right to me, but given the
diversity of use cases and tasks, a DSL-like approach (possibly with
common roots) sounds more stable to me, but that's just a hunch... I do
not have experience in language development. ;-)

	Juri

Back to the top