Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Call Tomorrow

Hello folks,

Thanks for coming to the CDT call today. An extra special thank you for allowing me to rehearse/dry-run the webinar ahead of tomorrow. I hope that the tools behave as well tomorrow as they did today! Please find the notes from the call today below and see you at the next call in a month:

Minutes

.cproject design issues - information for our partner project Eclipse CDT Cloud

At the last Eclipse CDT Cloud call the discussion of the use of .cproject was raised. At that meeting Jonah offered to send to cdt-cloud-dev mailing list a summary of the main issues that affect users and ISVs with .cproject files. Here is the result of brainstorming this issue at the CDT monthly call:

  • Not stable content
    • Negatively affects usability, especially with source control
    • Contents of file can change unexpectedely without making any changes in the UI.
    • Sometimes the .cproject stores the ID, and sometimes stored string. The problem is that clicking apply can sometimes flip from one to another
  • Too much detail in the file
    • The .cproject file contains som presentation info and not just the setting
  • IDs in the .cproject
    • The file contains seemingly random numbers added to IDs which makes it harder to edit and understand file contents for users. e.g. the numbers at the end of <tool id="cdt.managedbuild.tool.gnu.cpp.compiler.exe.release.891378864"[...]
  • Mismatch between data container and something else
  • Default values are stored in the .cproject file sometimes.
    • This means that if a default value is changed in a new version of CDT (or ISV product) that change won’t take effect on the user’s project.
    • This happens inconsistently.
  • How it handles resource specific configurations

Modernising CMake Support Issue #419

  • The now deprecated CDT generator not used in CDT
  • Using Makefiles (not Ninja) at Renesas
  • Esspressif are using CMake too with core build
  • Renesas are discussing internally how to improve CMake support and contribute those back.

CDT LSP

Current status is:

  • Closer and closer to presentable plug-in
  • Current work on preferences
  • 1 workspace per workspace vs 1 workspace per project. Needed to support forked versions of clangd
  • CI builds available, see https://github.com/eclipse-cdt/cdt-lsp#try-it-out
  • Jonah did a rehearsal fo the CDT LSP demo ahead of the webinar on June 15th. There will be a recording of the Webinar published.

Next Meeting

July 12 at 11am (Ottawa, Canada time)

~~~
Jonah Graham (he/him)