Re: [cdt-dev] CDT's New and Noteworthy pages

On Mon, 3 Oct 2022 at 00:54, Liviu Ionescu <ilg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 3 Oct 2022, at 04:03, Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello folks,
>
> I have migrated CDT's New and Noteworthy page off of the Wiki and into GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/eclipse-cdt/cdt/blob/main/NewAndNoteworthy/README.md

Two small observations:

- for documentation (especially when the pages may have some traffic), GitHub recommends to avoid public URLs to internal repo files (like .../blob/main/..., which are rendered by the Git repo web interface); instead they recommend to publish the pages in a separate Web server via GitHub Pages (or at the limit, using associated Wikis, but I generally avoid them)

+1 - sometime down the road we can look at this. The N&N (and FAQ pages migrated earlier) don't look particularly pretty directly in the repo. I was thinking of simply automating a gh-pages from the main repo, either into a doc repo (see below) or just into the gh-pages branch. However embed-cdt has some nice and more complete automation that CDT could adopt too. For now I am just creating the md files as a starting point.

- in GitHub, especially when the project has its own organization, it is usual to split the content between multiple projects; in this case I would analyse the advantages and disadvantages of having the NewAndNoteworthy pages in the same repo with the actual code

I really like having changelog things in the main repo so that the commits that change the functionality are in the same place as the documentation about them. However I am aware this is a personal choice and not necessarily widely agreed upon.

If there is a strong objection to the current structure, I am ok with moving it around (ideally with help/support from others).

PS for now my main focus is getting everything out of wiki.eclipse.org and making sure the dated stuff is properly marked as obsolete or similar.

Thank you for taking the time to review my changes - it is really nice not to be working in a bubble all on my own.

Jonah

Regards,

Liviu