Re: [cdt-dev] JUnit 4 or 5

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 09:50, Aleksandar Kurtakov <akurtako@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 4:00 PM Jan Baeyens <jan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My 2 cents: I was considering to move to JUnit5 as a testcase but due to this tweet I stopped considering (for now)

Eclipse Platform runs tests against installed Eclipse via https://wiki.eclipse.org/Platform-releng/Eclipse_Test_Framework which is tightly coupled to TestSuites. But this is unique setup which I'm not aware of anyone else using. Most other projects run JUnit tests at build time via Maven/Tycho (like CDT does) and for this case TestSuites are not needed as tycho finds out the tests to run. Actually having test suites and not specifying what exactly to run in pom.xml leads to executing every testcase twice.
With all that said I've moved and I'm moving projects to JUnit 5 except for Eclipse Platform due to the unique requirement there. Hope that helps in making informed decisions :)

Indeed - CDT is in the process of migrating to JUnit5 and dropping testsuites. See https://git.eclipse.org/r/c/cdt/org.eclipse.cdt/+/174005 which is almost ready to go which is the basis of new JUnit5 tests, and last year most all of the testsuites were essentially deprecated in CDT as they are not used to run anymore.

PS I will respond on the tweet too.

Jonah

Back to the top