Re: [cdt-dev] Is CMake support stable?

Hi Marc,

On Mittwoch, 9. Dezember 2020 05:25:37 CET Marc-Andre Laperle wrote:
> I run cmake (Homebrew) on the command line and change the “make" command for
> ninja, in a MBS project of type “Empty Makefile project". That’s also what
> I do on Linux and non-cmake projects. This way (Makefile+MBS) works for any
> external builder and probably gives you the most options in the UI as a
> user, but it’s a lot of manual configuration. I’ve tried other ways before

Works, but sigh: Its tedious.

My goal for CDT + cmake is to bring it to a level where your co-workers can
simply import an eclipse project from SCM and build. Without to perfom the
tedious steps that you mention. And without to fiddle around project-
properties  to make the build succeed on your OS. MBS + "that_3rdparty_plugin"
proof that it can be done. (To the extend that MBS allows.)

> As for macOS support in general, historically there hasn’t been as many
> contributions for Mac and not many committers working on it officially

Cmake is a cross-platform buildscript generator. IMHO, if CDT uses cmake to
generate the scripts, CDT should take the chance offered by cmake and try to
make its CDT-project definition files  platform-agnostic/platform-adapting as
possible.

> either. It’s a best effort, like a lot of things.

Any suggestions to improve CDT cmake support are welcome! And you are one of
the few who really seem to use CDT + cmake on macOs.
The author of "that_3rdparty_plugin" (me) never received much feedback from
macOs users.

Martin

--
Cd wrttn wtht vwls s mch trsr.