Re: [cdt-dev] Future of Managed Build

Great to see so much discussion on this topic and hopefully you can get to a good and sustainable place with CDT build.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 3:36 PM Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jan 2020 at 20:15, Jan Baeyens <jan@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

As I already said: I like the extension point stuff. But (and this is new) there is quite a lot of makefile contamination in there.

And I do not like you can't use outputs from tool A as input for tool B.

This is one of the challenges - the current code has a general source inputs to one output executable. Anything else is bolted on and was not really in scope of the original implementation IIUC

Just to provide a historical perspective, the managed build model was created in the early days of CDT and is very much modelled after the Visual Studio way of doing things, i.e. one build output per project.

Clearly that falls over for anything complicated, with multiple executables especially, and deep toolchains. It's why I became a big fan of CMake which handles this much better and why I created Core Build, to make it easier to use build systems such as CMake without managed build getting in the way.

BTW, managed build did get in the way with Autotools projects. Jeff did a great job getting it to work.

HTH,
Doug

Back to the top