Re: [cdt-dev] CDT Call Wednesday 6 Nov

Hello folks,

Please find the minutes below of today's call, if you find something misunderstood/reported, please edit the markdown: https://hackmd.io/@jonahgraham/cdt-call-nov-6-2019 - I will endeavour to find a good permanent home for this.

Our next call is 4 Dec, right in the middle of RC1 for 2019-12 release.

Thanks,
Jonah

Minutes

  1. c. Try to make it that only features are relying on newest version of platform. This is how we did it in the past: https://git.eclipse.org/r/#/c/143148/

  2. EclipseCon Europe Summary

  • New IP Process for Dependencies
    • CQ process going away
    • as far as possible fully automated
    • can be integrated into Maven builds
    • Rolling out before all tools are in place
    • Maven and npm already working, so we should be ok
    • TODO (Jonah): Ping emo@eclipse if and when yarn is supported
  • Planning on removing Project Navigator from the Platform
  • New Arduino IDE based on Eclipse Theia
    • Alpha version released
    • Advanced mode with normal debugging functionality
  • Demo of Tracecompass with traceprotocol in Theia
    • Lots of rendering in server instead of IDE
    • Progressing quite well
  • Expressif talk
    • Using core build cmake support
    • Encountered a few issues
    • Some API missing, patches have come and more in the future
  • Lots of discussions about future Java versions
  1. GNU MCU Plug-ins
  • Liviu gave overview of what it is (ARM and Risc-V)
  • New project proposal to bring it to Eclipse
  • Perhaps 1 more week until public
  • TODO (Jonah): Notify cdt-dev once public
  • Fred @ Eclipse Foundation convinced Liviu to bring it to the foundation
  • General consensus is a new EPP package rather than add it
  • Discussion needed on how to resolve different cross compiler support, GME and existing CDT is different
  • Not much enthusiasm for cmsis, instead xpacks being developed to overcome limitations
  • xpacks is an extension on npm modules, distributed by npmjs servers
  1. Other business
  • Liviu discussed other features, especially new builder:
    • xpack system has its own build system, including something that is equivalent to Managed Build in CDT and a future builder more akin to cmake
    • https://xpack.github.io/xpbuild/files/xpbuild-json/
    • Instead of xml file cdt uses, uses a JSON file
    • Where does toolchain info come from? Either JSON or in the tool itself
    • Where is code? npm application
    • More detailed discussions happened on this topic that hasn’t been captured in the minutes.

~~~
Jonah Graham
Kichwa Coders
www.kichwacoders.com