From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Jonah Graham <jonah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, September 13, 2018 12:46:40 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Building a Swing UI for CDT

Is the Eclipse UI neatly encapsulated away from the CDT business logic such that I could have the Swing UI call into the CDT core code?

CDT's debugger implementation is implemented for the Eclipse ecosystem, this means it is dependent on OSGi, Eclipse platform UI and Non-UI components and a whole raft of other supporting services.

The trend going forward is to build new debuggers front and back end based on the Debugger Adapter Protocol (DAP), there is still a long way to go before there is any implementation of DAP that is as feature full as CDT. The advantage to this approach is that it provides more clear delineation between front-end UI and back-end.

I assume you are looking into this due to the start-up performance of the standalone debugger? If so, there may be other (less expensive) options, so let's keep the discussion going.

Jonah

~~~
Jonah Graham
Kichwa Coders Ltd.