Re: [cdt-dev] Getting active launch target for a descriptor

Thanks for the reply Doug. I will try to come up with some proposal as I implement my support and open a separate bug for that.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:53 AM Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I’m certainly open to patches to adjust the API, or at least add to it. We started the Launch Bar with an idealistic view of the workflows, in particular, that the launch bar UI was the only way you changed the active selections. In the IDEs we were emulating, that was how you managed configs. But I’m certainly open now to be more pragmatic about things as we try to integrate with other tools.

Feel free to raise a bug and we can have the discussion there and see if we can come up with something.

Doug.

From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Waqas Ilyas
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2018 10:40 PM
To: cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Getting active launch target for a descriptor

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the hint, I'll have a look.

The problem I am facing is that a user may change the "active" target from other places then just the launchbar. In which case I would like the launch bar to update and show the latest active target. I tried setting LaunchTargetManager.setDefaultLaunchTarget(..) when a user commits changes but it did not work. This is because the LaunchBarManager.syncActiveTarget() prefers its stored value.

If the launch bar is not really meant to keep this system wide information then perhaps it should use providers to fetch the active target for any descriptor that is being made active. Alternatively, if it prefers its own storage then perhaps there should be a way to modify the active selections.

Maybe one way is that I can use the LaunchBarManager to set active descriptor, target, and mode of my choosing every time a user commits it in some other dialog. Although not ideal as it changes user's active descriptor selection, but this might be one way. What do you suggest here?

Regards,

Waqas