Re: [cdt-dev] Staying at 6 months?

Comments in [Doug] (as Outlook continues to be really bad at this :).

-----Original Message-----
From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Aleksandar Kurtakov
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2017 10:38 AM
To: CDT General developers list. <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Staying at 6 months?

On Fri, Dec 1, 2017 at 5:15 PM, Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hey gang,
>

> The platform announced they are moving to 3 month minor release
> cycles. That means they are doubling the time they spend in rampdown
> which from what we’ve learned,

I wonder how you come to ^^ that thought. Actually we are reducing the rampdown significantly from the current 2 months for the yearly release and to the endgame plan for updates (e.g.
https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/development/plans/freeze_plan_4_7_1.php#FixPassAfterRC0)
which is way less IMHO. This is not trying to convince you in anything but I can't leave wrong impression about the intention on Platform side :).

[Doug] There's still 4 RC's for every release. Which means you get 2 months of feature development and then one month of rampdown. When we did try 3 month cycles, we'd finish a release and it would feel like when you ramped back up to work on features, it was time for the next rampdown already. It was very disruptive.

[Doug] If you have a big enough crew, I guess that would work. We do not on CDT, IMHO.

> slows down feature velocity especially when ratio of developer to
> releng person are as low as we have right now. I prefer we stay at 6
> month release cycles for CDT with maintenance releases as needed. We
> still have a ton of work to do with Core Build and until that’s
> finished, we’ll need that much time to get things done.
>

> But I am one voice. We need to hear from everyone, especially those
> waiting in the wings to become contributors. What would make it easier for you?
>

> Thanks!
>
> Doug.

Alexander Kurtakov
Red Hat Eclipse Team