Re: [cdt-dev] Core Build/CMake update

Hi Doug and all,

I would like to discuss these questions in person, but alas I'm not going to make it to Ludwigsburg this year, so I'll have to ask them via mailing list.

I've been looking over the code you changed with this update and here are a few questions for my clarification

1) It looks like CoreBuildLaunchConfigDelegate.buildForLaunch(ILaunchConfiguration configuration, String mode, ILaunchTarget target, IProgressMonitor monitor) is the entry point for the launch-bar-based build.

2) When I step through things from 1 it looks like the following sequence is followed:
    a) Get project from configuration
    b) With project, mode, target call getBuildConfiguration(project, mode, target).   The current impl of this uses the toolChainManager.getToolChainsMatching(targetProperties) to return a Collection<IToolChain>
    c) Only the first IToolChain from the resulting Collection is used (currently).
    d) The ICBuildConfigurationProvider is got from the project and used to call ICBuildConfigurationProvider.createBuildConfiguration(project, toolchain, launchMode, monitor)

Question 1:  It looks like the only way that the selected ILaunchTarget wrt the ICBuildConfiguration creation is to lookup the Collection<IToolChain> tcs by using the target properties in CoreBuildLaunchConfigDelegate.getBuildConfiguration().   If this is right, do you expect that for (e.g.) Docker-based build or run launches via launchbar that the ILaunchTarget will be a 'DockerContainerLaunchTarget' (or some other name)?   That is, do you expect that the launchbar UI will expose the Docker (or other ICommandLauncher) in the launchbar 'on' combo box (or rather in the New Launch Target... dialog)?

e) Once the ICBuildConfiguration is created, the ICBuildConfiguration.build is called for the project being built...by the LaunchConfigurationDelegate superclass.

Question 2:   Is this flow for build/clean different than the one currently invoked via the project context menu->Build Project (which is what is invoked via Project menu/Build).   If so is it your desire or intention to unify them with a single code path for both?   Or does that matter?

Question 3:   WRT the ILaunchTarget and it's possible relationship to (e.g.) ICommandLauncher and impls (like DockerContainerCommandLauncher).    Would you expect that the IToolChainManager.getToolChainsMatching(targetProperties) would some how return both 'remoted' toolchains as well as 'local' toolchains (hidden behind IToolChainManager service), or would the IToolChain that it returned be somehow used in ICBuildConfigurationManager.getBuildConfiguration(project, toolChain, mode, monitor) call to get/return a build configuration that is 'remote enabled'?   Would the latter break the managed builder (?).   So the question is:   Where do you see hooking into ICommandLauncher?...or some other way to get a remote-enabled ICBuildConfiguration.build?

Thanks for info,

Scott