Re: [cdt-dev] CDT 9.3.3

Not really. We need to come to an understanding or we'll keep reverting each other's commits 😊

> It broke the ability to update the plug-in and features using the one line mvn
> command:
> mvn org.eclipse.tycho:tycho-versions-plugin:set-version -P build-standalone-
> debugger-rcp -DnewVersion=${NEW_VERSION}-SNAPSHOT
> With that command setting the feature versions to the right thing is trivial. I
> suspect other automatic editing command for Maven will be affected too, but I
> haven't tried them.

I'm curious to why that would be broken. What assumptions is that Mojo making?

> As for feature groupids inheriting, we could look at that.  I think our root
> problem is that CDT existed before Tycho and tycho's normal way of operating
> (AFAICT) is to have the feature have a different name than any plug-in. This
> makes sense with the namespace constraints of an Eclipse workspace too. This
> being another place that CDT is unusual in that the feature projects name's don't
> match the CDT feature IDs.
> That said, JDT does the same as CDT, but JDT's features have pom files. Most
> other (younger) projects that I have seen just tag on .feature to the ID of their
> features.

Tycho/Maven don't really care what the layout is in general. Pomless builds do require the parent directory of the project have a pom file. And maybe that works best when all features are in a features folder and all bundles are in a bundles folder as seems to be the most common style.

BTW, as one who types in IU ids often, having something that's org.blah.feature.feature.group looks silly. There are other ways.

> It sounds like a Tycho bug (wrong reactor order) if there is a dep from UI test to
> CDT feature and the CDT feature is not built first.
> Good to know that is the reason for the workaround.

Plug-ins can't depend on features. This comes from the extraRequirements clause in the cmake.ui.tests plug-in. It doesn't seem to impact the reactor order. Without it, I didn't get the C++ Perspective and the CMake project templates and the test failed.

I'll take a deeper look at set-versions and see what it's expecting.