From: cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, September 29, 2017 5:14 PM
To: CDT General developers list.
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Adding autotools support to core builder

Comments below. Good topics to argue over at EclipseCon šŸ˜Š.

- What about the build configuration stuff which is now tied to MBS?

Iā€™m not sure what youā€™re asking.

At the end of the day, my objective is to be able to flush MBS and have an IDE that only has Core Build.

In general, Iā€™ve been trying to tie UI associated with MBS with the MBS nature. Core Build projects do not have that nature so it should be hidden for them. If not, let me know and Iā€™ll try and fix it.

- Can you elaborate on the effects of Core Build only working together with the launchbar? Surely you will be able to create launch configurations the old way? (I've heard several comments from people who don't really like (or see the point of) the launchbar.)

The way Core Build works best is to use the properties from ILaunchTarget to select the appropriate IToolChain to be used for a build. The ILaunchMode selects whether to use a build config that is debug or release (run) or profile, etc. I am adding a Build Settings tab to the Launch Descriptor Editor to edit build settings but that only appears if you launch it from the launch bar (it also shows the launch config tabs).

In general, Launch Configurations created the old way show up in the launch bar and if you provide the right providers, you can hook them up to Core Build.

I actually canā€™t image how Core Build will work without the Launch Bar and probably wonā€™t spend time on that. We at QNX are all in with the Launch Bar. Contributions accepted to do something else especially if it provides a good user experience.

BTW, both Xcode and Visual Studio have launch bars. The point is to simplify the launch experience. More on that at the summit too.

Just my thoughts, and I am open as always to be influenced to produce something better šŸ˜Š.

Doug.

I've finally gotten around to some prototyping on core build together with our own build tools, and things are looking promising. (Our biggest problem at the moment is that our own build system needs an overhaul.)

Some questions:

--

/Jesper

Jesper Eskilson Development Engineer