Re: [cdt-dev] Neon.2 does not start GDB 7.12 on macOS

> On 30 Jan 2017, at 16:37, Marc Khouzam <marc.khouzam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> This is the other known bug of CDT 9.2 related to GDB 7.12.
>    Bug 509812 - Unable to interrupt arm remote target with Neon and GDB 7.12
>    (http://eclip.se/509812)
> Note that this affects all 'GDB Hardware debugging' launches, as well as all launches
> on Windows and Mac.

aha, it seems to be the same problem I faced.

> having been found, I don't mind doing a special 9.2.1 release very soon and a 9.2.2 for March.
> Let me know if that would be useful (so I don't spend time for nothing).

if you have a nightly build for CDT that includes this fix, I can test it before you taking the time to make the release.

> The problems actually originate in CDT's use of GDB 7.12's new awesome full console support.

it might be awesome for most of the users, but for the average GNU ARM Eclipse user, the GDB console is pretty ignored/useless, and the previous version of the console was more then enough.

as such, without offending anyone, could you consider adding a Preferences option to enable/disable the new debug console?

another annoying behaviour of the new console is that clicking on the GDB process does not set the focus to the new console, as it does when clicking all other processes.

> The actual root cause of the problem is CDT's lack of broad testing.
> We need more attention for Windows and for Mac, and for Hardware debugging.
> These three areas are not covered by the core CDT Debug committers and
> are the three areas that experienced serious bugs in the 9.2 release.

as I said, if there are nightly builds, I can install them on a test Eclipse from time to time. if not, I might consider a configuration that uses the live git, but it is more tedious, and I cannot dedicate full time to these tests.

> P.S.  There is another bug reported from someone using the GNU ARM plugins
> Bug 507429 - The problem with the launch SEGGER J-Link GDB Server
> http://eclip.se/507429

it looks like the initial bug report used the version that created the GDB server process with the GDB console attribute. it should be fixed now.

regards,

Liviu

Back to the top