[cdt-dev] Hiding the 'gdb traces' by default?

Hi,

A few years ago it was asked why we enable the 'gdb traces' console by default.

https://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cdt-dev/msg24297.html

The discussion ended with the idea that when a problem happens, it is better to

have the traces running, instead of having to try to reproduce the problem a

second time, after having enabled the traces.

Now that we moved the actual GDB console into its own Debugger Console view,

I started thinking about those 'gdb traces' again.  I do agree that for a non-advanced

user, they don't mean anything and just add to the complexity of the Console view.

One approach that was not explored is to have the 'gdb traces' running all the time,

but not _show_ them by default.  So normal users would not see them in the Console

view, but if a problem happened, they could be made visible with all the traces

already collected.

I think that would address both requirements (having the traces as soon as a problem

happens, while not showing them by default).

Do others agree this would be an improvement?

If we go with such a solution, it is important to note that it implies that 'gdb traces'

will be collected all the time, with no option to turn them off.  I personally don't see

that as a problem.  They have be on by default for many years without any issues.

Thanks for your input.

Marc

Back to the top