Re: [cdt-dev] Standard Build on New Build System thoughts

Hi Doug,

I appreciate this initiative. I will make some comments here but if you prefer them registered on the wiki/bugzilla too, please let me know.

First of all, I'd like to give a simplified description of my [1] users and scenarios:

- they are mostly ISVs porting and/or tuning C/C++ apps to IBM POWER processors. Almost always an already existing code should be imported into Eclipse, and built with make (it can be "pure" make or autotools managed). Some use custom scripts and I've seen interested growth on use of CMake too.

- they build it locally using a cross compiler or direct on the remote target machine (preferred method).

- it is provided a self-contained version of GNU toolchain [2] and runtime libraries optimized for our platform that does not overridden the default Linux distribution toolchain/libraries. E.g., gcc can be installed under /opt/at8.0/bin/gcc and /opt/at9.0/bin/gcc. Our users want to use that toolchain instead of the distro's provided one.

- we provide a plug-in called Build Advisor that parses the build output, analyses flags/commands issued and makes recommendations.

According to the scenario outline, below are some of our needs for the new build system:

- It could be more remote-aware, allowing build commands and scanner info be execute on any target build machine. The CDT's autotools plug-in already provides remote facilities, whereas make target doesn't. Today we rely on PTP's extensions for CDT and synchronized projects.

- It could implement an "build environment configuration" facility similar to PTP's  environment modules [3] and Environment modules [4] so that any toolchain integrator could provides pre-defined environment configurations (i.e. variables to be set before the build). It has potential to solve problems related with known toolchains installed on different locations, besides allowing users to more easily switch between cross compile configurations.

- the output parser could be a general purpose API, i.e., not necessarily attached to any toolchain. Today, If I understood correctly, it is tied with a toolchain and should be used solely to parse build errors and feed the scanner info.