Re: [cdt-dev] Standard Build on New Build System thoughts

I’ve updated the page with a little more description of what Standard build is including a bit of history. Hopefully it’s not too revisionary :).

From: Doug Schaefer <dschaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 1:34 PM
To: "CDT General developers list." <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [cdt-dev] Standard Build on New Build System thoughts

From: <cdt-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Marc-André Laperle <marc-andre.laperle@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM
To: "cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx" <cdt-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Doug,

Can you clarify what you mean by "Standard build"? Do you mean non-managed external build (Make)? Doesn't the new build system already support that?
Sorry, I get confused with all the terms of the different build solutions.

Right now, the new build system only has integrations for Qt and Arduino and a start of Cmake. We leverage certain things we know about those systems to calculate scanner info without having to do a build. “Standard Build” is much more freeform and more of a challenge to extract this info. It brings things like the Language Settings Provider into play or at least build output parsing.

BTW, I’m also looking for a better term than Standard. It is confusing.

Marc-Andre